Mar 11, 2011

The Adelaide Social Experiment Continues...

The Adelaide

Two weeks ago I received my key to Room #4 and so my skid row existence began. The Adelaide was once the infamous Tramway Hotel which was built over 100 years ago. Here is a quick rundown of my new digs...one furnished room consisting of a bed and dresser drawers ($5 per week per piece of furniture) and a private (thank you baby jesus) bathroom with toilet, sink, and shower. You pay by the week (common in NZ). $220 NZD per week is my price for this experience.

The ten or so rented rooms are on the second floor of an out of biz bar. We share a few common areas such as a kitchen that I avoid, a few bathrooms, and a "lounge" (NZ's equivalent of a living room) that I have as of yet ventured to visit. It's basically me and 50 yr. old bachelors and we all keep to ourselves. Everyone has been very nice but these are the dudes your mom warned you about.