Sep 28, 2011

Dumpster Diver

Weirdo Trash Digger

Good morning to me. I woke up to the crushing of cans and the rustling of trash bags. It happens every week but this is my first documentation. The Moxham Ave. boarding house sucks - no one cares about cleanliness let alone recycling...except for this jerk. He literally digs through each trash bag sorting out plastic, cans, etc. that were wrongly dumped in the reg trash bin. I'm guilty. My trash is the crunchiest of them all. What I find disturbing is that this asshole is not only digging through my beer cans and wine bottles but also my credit card receipts, notes to self, Q-tips & tissues (EW!!), etc.



"Why don't you recyle?", you ask.


I could have never guessed the depth of the cultural differences between New Zealand and the US. This includes radical differences in garbage (or rubbish as it is called here) collection. Sure I know that NZ is literally on the other side of the planet and was colonized a good one hundred years after the States were but the cultures are severely different. And it is another layer of difference altogether experiencing these new challenges as a tenant of a shitty boarding house. Boarding houses are for drifters or short-timers. These are people you will never see again. They are transients like you. There are rules such as taking a shower no longer than 6 min. in order to assure hot water for all lodgers and keeping all common areas clean. There are time limits to conserve energy for example my private bathroom light will automatically shut off after 30 min. It is an odd existence living with people that you did not choose as roommates.