May 26, 2011

New Routes.

So the new digs call for a new route to campus. It's a trek when on the ole hooves, so I'm checking out my options. There are numerous bus routes in town but none seem to follow my destinations. I waited 15 min. for what I thought was a bus that would take me from school to the general vicinity of Moxham Avenue but apparently I was mistaken. I boarded the bus and was told by the driver that there are no buses from Massey to my new home. I got off cursing the New Zealand bus system in my mind. So hooves it is. Option one...

Forest Couch Route

Forest Couch Route. Enchanting isn't it? This is actually on a walking trail just above the sidewalk about 5 min. from Room #7. I can honestly say that some of the most unpedestrian friendly routes are located in the new hood. I risked my life frogger-style just before I took this pic. Once I get past the forest couch, it's pretty much smooth sailing. But how many times can you win at frogger? Option two...

Mt. Vic Tunnel Route

Mount Victoria Tunnel Route. I like to say that this alternative is the "urban" route in comparison to above Forest Couch Route. It is a more direct path to reach campus but the tunnel provides pros and cons. Pros: 1. Shelter from the daily angry winter weather consisting of screaming wind and dumping rain. 2. Level ground. No goddamn sick inclined hills that make my heart explode from my chest. Cons: 2. It's a solid 10 min. walk within a cement artery of clogged cars. The walkway is elevated for pedestrian safety but also means being gassed with vehicle exhaust. But man, that first blast of fresh air upon exiting the tunnel is what I'd imagine a newborn baby's first breath to feel like.

Hmmmm...decisions. The Forest Couch Route, after the death defying street crossing, is fairly calm and passes through Newtown which is a sweet suburb of Wellington filled with coffee shops and what have you. It ends with the downside of a major hill so it only takes 15 min. to stop sweating when I reach the studio.

Mt. Vic Tunnel Route is closer but ends with a fucking wicked steep hill that makes me question why I left the U.S. This is more of a 30 min. cool down. I also feel this is more of a social experiment. Bicyclists are prevalent here in Wellington and I'm learning bike/pedestrian etiquette with this route. Do you walk on the reggie or louie side of the walkway? I get numerous bicycle bell alerts whichever side I choose. "Sorry, I'm new to this tunnel...still learning the ropes".

These are just decisions that I never thought were needed to make before I moved here. New Zealand -1, Layla - 0 on this one.